Working after studies

Working after studies


Working after studies


CPT Opportunities

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)


CPT is an employment option available for F1 students where practical trainings employment is considered to be an integral part of the academic program. Curricular practical training is defined to be alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school. Students who have received one year or more of full time curricular practical training are ineligible for post-completion academic training.


Optional Practical Training (OPT)

After completing the studies, F1 Students are eligible to apply for up to one year of paid experience called OPT. This visa allows students to gain work experience in their chosen career.

To be eligible for this a student must be on F1 status for a minimum of nine months and the OPT application must be filed at least 90 days prior to completion of their studies.


OPT Extension for students for 17 months:

This new rule allows students who received a Bachelor’s / Masters or Doctoral degree in Science, technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) field to apply for a 17 months extension of their OPT


H1B Work Visa


The H1B Visa is the official and primary USA work visa / permit available to people from all over the world.
The US Government introduced the H1B visa to offer and enable highly skilled International Professionals and/or International Students, from all over the World, the opportunity to live and work in the USA.

The H1B is the most popular and sought after US work visa and US Immigration requires ‘every’ foreign national to obtain a visa in order to legally work in America.  However international students can work full-time under CPT.


Internship Income