Earning money through internships

Earning money through internships while going to school

HTIR’s work study, internship or curricular practical training (CPT) programs are a big draw for international students interested in pursuing a master’s degree in the United States. These internships provide both real life learning in conjunction with their studies at the university, as well as funds to help pay for tuition and living arrangements.

What makes HTIR unique from other United States study abroad programs is that it has worked with universities to establish CPT programs legally allowing students to being working in off campus internships immediately. Students earning a master’s degree through other study abroad programs must wait an academic year before pursuing an off campus job.

It is up to students to search out job opportunities and apply for them. Each university has a Career Counselor on site to assist with resume writing, interview skills, as well as searching out employment opportunities via newspapers, the Internet, at job fairs or through other placement opportunities.

Prior to working, students must be enrolled in a school program, have started classes and obtained a Social Security number, which can take between two to four weeks. Most students traditionally are able to find employment within a couple of weeks of starting their search.

Students are encouraged to apply for entry-level jobs paying between $7 and $10 an hour, which are traditionally below the skill level for which students are actually qualified to perform. These jobs must be an integral part of the program they are studying. As students are integrated into the American workforce culture, they can apply for and accept a position more suited to their job skills.

In the United States, a work week is up to 40 hours, but overtime may be a possibility, depending on the job. Traditionally a two-week notice of resignation is provided to current employers before starting a new job.

Comments are closed.